It's the beginning of the New Year. The Holiday Season is behind us, and it's time to focus on the year ahead. I'm sure many of you have made goals for the year- I know I do. I'm feeling pretty awesome right now, so I'm trying to take advantage of it! 2015 was a bit of a struggle for me health wise, but I'm hoping that I'm moving in a positive direction.
One of my goals for the year is to blog on a regular basis. Recipes, tips on staying balanced, whatever... So I figured a great way to start is by introducing myself again, and giving you some insight on who I am! So Ten Fun Facts About Me:
- I'm an 11 year thyroid cancer survivor. Perhaps this is fairly well known by now, but it's still a part of my history, and a part of me. Look for upcoming posts on how I dealt with my diagnosis, and more importantly, my follow-up treatment. Keeping my thyroid hormone levels can be a constant battle, and I hope by sharing this information, I can help someone going through the same thing.
- I became a health coach to help with my own nutritional needs. As mentioned above, dealing with a lack of thyroid and keeping my hormone levels where they need to be can be a struggle. I started to notice that my diet played a big role in this, and this lead me to the Institute of Integrative Nutrition where I became a certified health coach. During the process, I also experimented with my own diet as we learned about different ideologies, and it's help lead me to what works best for me.
- I'm a twin. I have a twin brother who's 7 minutes older than me. I loved growing up with someone going through things like birthdays and graduations at the same time as me, but still having the obvious difference of being opposite sexes and looking nothing alike helped us avoid (most of the time) too many comparisons that twins are often subject to.
- I sold my car 3 years ago and have never replaced it. Since then, I've been walking , using car sharing programs like Zipcar, or public transportation. I love it! There's no excuse not to walk to the gym or the grocery store when you don't have a car!
- I love to run. Currently, I'm dealing with a fracture in my foot, but I cannot wait to get back at it.
- My favorite color is red. It's vibrant and classic and so very me!
- My guilty pleasure TV show is Naked and Afraid. Have you seen it? It's like survivor, only no staged challenges, and no clothes!
- My favorite vegetable is the kohlrabi. If you've never had one, look for them at your local farmers' market. Many people cook them, some pickle them, and I love to eat them raw with a bit of salt. Crunchy and delicious!
- My favorite fruit is berries. Any kind. Blackberries, raspberries, blue berries... Yum!
- My favorite snack food is popcorn. I don't eat it often, but sometimes I totally crave it!
I'm looking forward to getting to know you this year, and hope you enjoy reading my blogs and creating my recipes. If you have any suggestions on what you want me to write about, drop me a line at email@example.com.